Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Videos by O

Get out the popcorn!
We have something fun for you today, (hard work aside).

Ever wanted a book trailer? Even tried to make one? Yeah...I know, me too. 
Well, maybe, just maybe, I have the perfect solution for you.

Let's meet "O". 
No, no...not Oprah, Opal!
Hmm, OK, I will see if I can get a better shot to introduce you to today's guest.

Could you share a little about yourself and how you started making book trailers? A number of years ago I worked for a very small non-profit and they wanted videos for their website but we were on a budget....so I started playing and began making all their videos. One of which won a contest and appeared on the Pursuit Channel. (Admit it, that's cool!)

How much of your life is set aside for this work? Between actually making the videos and promoting the videos and myself I set aside about 6 hours a day. So basically, remove lunch and 2 union breaks, and that's pretty close to full time.

Could you tell us a little about the process when it comes to creating these clips? The first thing I do is lay out the text that has been selected to appear in the clip. THEN I move to music. After that it’s all about the images and timing. (Pssst, readers, she says that as if it compares to picking out a pair of socks in the morning! Raise your hand if you have had to write a blurb, or describe your book in 5 sentences...yeah, reality check.)
                                                     
How difficult is it to grasp the author’s vision and set it to a short clip? Depends. Most authors are really great about sharing their vision for the video. Occasionally one or two just aren’t really sure what they want it to look like so I just run with it and we change anything they don’t like
Hoping they don't pull a full switch on you. you know...about the music, yeah, not what I had in mind. Oh, and those few clips, hmmm, maybe more on the line of...  O_o 

Do you try to read the books you create trailers for? I do not try to read the books for a number of reasons. 1. I simply do not have the time to read them all no matter how much I want to. 2. Readers haven’t read the book either and if the trailer can pull them in and make them WANT to read it...I have done my job Wow, now that's a cool way to look at it, as opposed to trying to create a resume without giving anything away.

Is there a message behind the video story you create? Is it something the author asks for? Sometimes, yes there is, but not always. I have had several videos where the authors had very specific ideas and messages they wanted to convey and they were FANTASTIC about giving me enough info to bring their message to life. 
 
How much information do you require to create a book trailer? How detailed is the information you ask for or receive from the author? I ask for taglines, blurbs (or text if they want it different than the blurb) I ask for music feel and ANY other information that the author feels lends to the book. The authors have always been WONDERFUL about providing me with plenty of info J

How do you go about finding or choosing video clips and music for these trailers? I have several thousand downloaded to my big work computer but if I can’t find what I need there I search the database of my video and music subscription place Now wouldn't that be nice to have access to... 

Could you tell us how you go about putting the lot together? I remember using Adobe Pro, which had 90 layers of video and 90 layers of audio…a little daunting when you have never used it. The programs I use layer also and depending on how much action I have going on as to how many layers there have to be. Sometimes it gets pretty hairy J When I have 10 layers to make one scene it can get tricky making sure the timing, fades and placements are all in the right spots J
 (Which is why I have turned to O for her help...)

What was your first trailer, and how does it differ from what you create now? My very first book trailer was basic....I’m talking VERY basic. It was nothing more than the cover, blurb and music. THEN I found a stock place where I could get clips and backgrounds and everything changed J I am still learning tips and tricks, new methods and ways to do things and I am ALWAYS excited to keep learning new techniques.

How much of an impact do you find book trailers make on the sales of books? As with ANY form of promo or swag it’s not that a trailer will sell books FOR you....it is simply another form of advertising that you can use to promote and advertise your book. They work well when you are on book tour or blog hops. EVEN if you just want to see if blogs will “spotlight” your trailer. EVERYONE is looking for new ways to reach readers and sometimes a short punchy trailer on a blog hop works better than a guest blog or spotlight. Mix it up when you set up your tours. Don’t JUST have guest blogs or interviews. Add in cover and trailer spotlights to keep your stops fresh J
Now make sure you have all taken note on that! 

How do you handle marketing your work? Do you have a plan, a publicist or just take one day at a time? I really just take it one day at a time. I make connections and network A LOT! Plus I offer a referral program J If you refer 5 new clients to me and they make a purchase.....YOU get a free video J I also have monthly giveaways on my Facebook page J

This is a screenshot from USA Today,
they were showcasing a book and this clip shows the trailer made for it by O.
Do you have any advice for authors who attempt to create their own trailers? Don’t be scared to try something new. Don’t be scared to ask for help or tips from others J When I first started making trailers VERY few people used video or moving backgrounds. I wanted to be different so I found a stock place I could afford and made it happen.
Static images can be a challenge when you don't know what your doing...video layering with audio in the mix...You Go Girl!

Could you tell us what you’re working on now? LOL I have 7 videos that I am currently working on as well as some action effects for a commercial for a publisher J

I want to see them!

OK, so now that you just HAVE to see O's videos, I have included the links to her creations.

You can hook up with her HERE

Did you get that popcorn ready? Because now we can sit back and watch all of her trailers, teasers and so forth. (Just click on the YouTube link above).



No comments:

Post a Comment